Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Good is Fun




So I didn't have Martin Luther King Day off.  I probably would have been really grumpy about it, except for once again, I have the best job ever!  BYU put together what they called, "Day of Caring" and I was assigned to be a supervisor at one of the service locations.  Christina came along and we had a great time doing artwork with disabled people at TURN.

This is Anna and me with her finished product.  She was so sweet and just wanted to tell me all about her favorite movie, A Cinderella Story with Hillary Duff.

This is Christina with Anna and our other friend Larry.  Larry loves BYU football, he thinks that BYU will win the super bowl for sure :)  You can also see that the red paint was a hit and big red circles were the theme of the day.

The highlight of the day however, was Ryan, another client of TURN.  Ryan loves meeting people and especially loves to give everyone he meets a new nickname.  My nickname was "can't we try," Christina got assigned "serious by colors."  A couple other favorites were "shake shake shake your booty," "my best friend's wedding," and, "maneater."

I'm always grateful for opportunities to do service in new and different ways.  I've been especially thankful for the chance to serve around disabled and elderly people.  I don't think I'm alone in saying that sometimes it can feel a little awkward or be a step out of my comfort zone to interact with people from these groups, not because of any kind of prejudice, but because they are different.  I've really just had so much fun with it though and so enjoyed the lessons that I've learned and the increase in love I feel for them.  I'm grateful for a job that grows this "two sizes too small" heart of mine a little bigger each day.

In other news, you have probably hiked or at least heard of hiking the Y in Provo.  Well I'm here to tell you that you haven't truly had the Provo experience until you have hiked the I.  Christina and I found this beauty on our drive home and couldn't resist a picture.



No comments:

Post a Comment