Monday, January 9, 2012

I can't help it...

... I'm a little bit of a feminist.


Let me introduce you to Geraldine Ferraro, the first woman to run for vice-president on a major party ticket.  They lost by a landslide.  I know very little about her politics, but I found this quote today and couldn't help but share.  It's good.


"I can look back and say that really was an important thing to have happen because, you know, people did see a woman running for national office. But I also have to say something to you: It's not only—it wasn't only the campaign. It wasn't only the election. Since then, I have to tell you the number of women who have come up to me and said to me, thank you for doing that. And I say, well, I appreciate it. And they say, well, no, no. You don't understand. Because if you hadn't done it, I would not have... And I cannot tell you the number of things they attach to the end of that word—have."


I think it's important to find those things in the lives of others and even more so, in our own lives, that allow us to attach accomplishments and achievements "to the end of that word-have"


I have a story that I love to tell and brag about my little sister.  Her senior year of high school, her AP American History class participated in a program called "We the People."  I don't understand the details of the program, but the success of her team led them to compete in a simulated Congressional hearing at Nationals in Washington D.C.  After their presentation, the judge asked the group which amendment to the Constitution they believed was most important.  Without a second thought, my sister answered, Freedom of Religion, and went on to talk about her faith as a Latter Day Saint and the importance of religion to her and to the United States.  She didn't worry about seeming awkward or weird or losing the competition.  She just answered.

The Brave, Little Sister
I love this story, because it has led me to countless acts attached to the word have.  When I start to chicken out about standing up for what I believe in or feel ashamed to share my testimony, I remember my sister and I know that I can do it.

I hope that as I try my best to do the things that seem hard and scary in my own life, I can create opportunities for other people to attach acts to their haves as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment